Okay. Here is a list of things I really wish my school had taught me :
- The surrounding plants and its uses; medical, or for food, poisonous, the works.
- Insects to look out for, first aid relating to it.
- Controversial works of literature at least to be discussed.
- Weather and all possible survival tips related to it.
- Places to visit and why.
- Self defense.
- Stamina building – in physical education class.
- What to put in a survival knapsack.
- Map reading.
- Energy conservation.
- How to build compost.
- About soil, types and a detailed study on it.
- What not to do in a thunderstorm.
- Actual history, not the made up political shit that they feed us.
I’m sure there is more. Let me think about what more would have benefited me as a person who is supposed to live on this planet, naturally, not an artificial life that school prepares us for and get back to this.
We are in no way prepared for anything, tell me how many plants outside your house are eatable in terms of crisis ? How do you harvest rain water ? How do you reduce depletion of the underground fresh water tables ? Tell me. Seriously. What snakes are poisonous ? And in what regions ?
Now I’m sure most of us have access to internet, and I’m sure you’ll tell me to hide behind that curtain of a virtual encyclopedia. But what about a day when computers stop functioning ? Even if for one day, what do you do ? What do you know ? What do I know ? What does anybody know ?
Schools are supposed to teach us these things. They are the basics.
But do they ?